Organizational Overview: The Telling Room is a nonprofit writing center in Portland, Maine, that seeks to empower youth through writing and share their voices with the world. Focused on young writers ages 6 to 18, we seek to build confidence, strengthen literacy skills, and provide real audiences for our students. We believe that the power of creative expression can change our communities and prepare our youth for future success. We offer a wide variety of free creative writing programs to Maine youth at our Writing Center downtown and at schools and community-based organizations all over the state.
The Telling Room is searching for a Full Time Communications Manager in Portland, ME to lead communication objectives for the organization.
Our organization empowers youth through writing and shares their voices with the world. Focused on young writers ages 6 to 18, The Telling Room seeks to build confidence, strengthen literacy skills and provide real audiences for students. We believe that the power of creative expression can change our communities and prepare our youth for future success.
Our staff is small and close-knit, and we care about our culture. We’re familiar, friendly, and straightforward, with a commitment to excellence and fun. And while The Telling Room is informal, we are serious about our mission and our community! If you value inclusion, embrace working with a variety of people, and can maintain your sense of humor in January in Maine, then you will fit right in!
The Communications Manager is responsible for marketing, communications, and public engagement activity supporting the organization's strategic objectives. The qualified candidate will serve as a key spokesperson, lead organization communication, and help shape the organization’s future through brand stewardship and sustainability efforts.
· Support the development and execution of The Telling Room’s strategy for all communications
· Collaborate with staff, interns, and skilled volunteers
· Responsible for the co-development, integration, and implementation of a broad range of communications, marketing, and public relations activities relative to the strategic direction and positioning of the organization
· Act as an ambassador for The Telling Room, building relationships with local community partners with the goal of advancing organization’s mission
· Amplify youth voices
· Increase financial resources to support vital programming
Strategy, Vision, and Brand
· Develop, implement, and execute an annual communications and events plan
· Lead the creative and written development of all print and electronic communications and collateral materials
· Cultivate and maintain relationships with reporters, bloggers, and other members of the media
· Develop media pitches and write press releases
· Manage website content, including updates to reflect TR news, events, and all programs
· Manage the “look + feel” of the Telling Room Brand including the oversight of the evolution and adherence to design standards
· Manage print collateral for all external communications
· Guide the organization’s storytelling voice
Development and Events
· Work alongside the development director and executive director to promote and execute TR community events, the annual fundraising event, and other public engagement opportunities
· Work with The TR’s development director to create print and electronic fundraising collateral in alignment with overall brand and vision, including the annual appeal, the annual report, and special campaigns
· Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
· At least 5 years’ experience working in communications or a related field
· Experience in managing websites and knowledge of design software
· High level of proficiency with Adobe Suite and other graphic design programs
· Demonstrated ability to work independently
· Excellent oral and written communication skills
· Innovative and critical thinker with strong analytical and problem-solving skills
· Passion and ability in communicating the mission, programs, and activities of The Telling Room to a wide range of audiences
Annual Salary: $45,000
40-hour week in accordance with the TR’s Flex-Time Policy
Some travel is required
Must have access to a car
A background check is required to ensure applicants can work around youth
Benefits include paid vacation, holidays, sick leave, health insurance, and contribution to a Simple IRA.
To apply: Please send a resume, cover letter, a one-page writing sample, social media post samples, and any other relevant collateral material to email@example.com by the deadline of 11/1/20.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We prioritize the leadership of people of color
and LGBTQ individuals, and we strongly encourage people of all traditionally
marginalized identities to apply. Applicants will not be discriminated against because of
race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national
origin, disability, ancestry, marital status, veteran status, medical condition or any
protected category prohibited by local, state, or federal laws.