This year's theme is "Bodies of Water."
We're looking for submissions that tackle the following question: Where, when, and how has water affected your life?
Here are a few prompts offered to get students started:
- Write about a watery place that means something to you, whether real or imaginary.
- When and where have you felt most connected to water?
- Describe one particular moment you've experienced with water in great detail.
Writing Contest Rules
- All submissions should be related to the theme: “Bodies of Water”
Entrants must be from Maine in grades 6-12 during the 2014-15 school year, or, if home-schooled, between the ages of 11 and 18.
- Poems must be 40 lines or fewer, in any form. Prose pieces should be 750 words or fewer.
Send your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org. Attach your story as a .doc or .rtf file, or paste it into the body of the email.
- Include this information with your submission: Name, Age, School, Email Address, Phone Number, Parents Names, Mailing Address.
- Submitting to our contest constitutes an agreement to be published in our annual anthology.
The deadline for submission is February 15th, 2015.
- A panel of professional writers will select one grand prize winner and runner/s-up.
- The grand prize winner will be published in the May 2015 issue of Maine Magazine.
- A $200 cash prize will be awarded to the grand-prize winner.
- The grand-prize winner will be invited to read their piece at our 2015 Big Night Event.