Many thanks to the hundreds of writers who submitted to this year's contest! It was so difficult to choose the winners with so many outstanding poems and stories submitted, but after a few weeks of reading and discussion among a panel of professional writers, we're pleased to announce the winners of this year's contest:
Prose: Meghan Lane, Rockport - "Prelude in A Minor"
Poetry: Mary McColley, Berwick - "Lapti"
Look for these pieces in the May 2013 issue of Maine Magazine and please join us May 16th for Big Night so we can congratulate you all on your stellar work!
The Telling Room's annual writing contest runs from December through February each year, with prizes including publication in Maine Magazine, on MPBN radio, and in our anthology up for grabs. One grand prize winner walks away with $200 as well. We look for poetry and prose submissions, but be sure to read the rules below to make sure your piece meets our guidelines.
This past year's theme was "Objects of Wonder." All submissions involved one or more material objects: keepsakes, mementos, relics, and items of value.
- Write about a found object you've held onto for some reason.
- Describe one object in precise detail and write its history.
- Find an inanimate object in your house or at school and instill it with a magical power.
There are many ways to approach the theme -- show us what you can do, through fiction, non-fiction, or poetry.
Writing Contest Rules
- All submissions should be related to the theme: “Objects of Wonder.”
Entrants must be from Maine in grades 6-12 during the 2012-13 school year, or, if home-schooled, between the ages of 11 and 18.
- Poems must be 40 lines or fewer, in any form. Prose pieces should be 750 words or fewer.
Send your submission to firstname.lastname@example.org. Attach your story as a .doc or .rtf file, or paste it into the body of the email.
- Include this information with your submission: Name, Age, School, Email Address, Phone Number, Parents Names, Mailing Address.
- Submitting to our contest contstitutes an agreement to be published in our annual anthology.
The deadline for submission was February 15th, 2013.
- A panel of writers will select one prose and one poetry winner.
- Winners will be published in the May 2013 issue of Maine Magazine.
- Both pieces will be developed to air on MPBN's 'Maine Things Considered' radio show.
- A $200 cash prize will be awarded to one grand prize winner.
- The grand prize winner will read their piece at our 2013 Big Night Event.